I remember feeling absolutely amazing when I did my first ayurvedic cleanse last spring, but with 6 months between then and now, I sort of forgot what amazing actually felt like. I was quickly reminded though, because wow, this cleanse works miracles. It's my new secret weapon for when I need a quick reboot. A few days in and I felt like a new person—a new and 10,000% improved person.
Not only did I lose 8 pounds in a week (shows you how much junk I had been eating leading up to it), but I felt SO GOOD: uncharacteristically energetic, no brain fog, completely clear-minded, open, positive, and just all around great. There was such a noticeable difference in my overall mood that I think I may have even inspired Dan to cleanse with me in the spring. We'll see 😉
Though I've been back to eating "normally' for a little over a week now, the dietary train wreck that is Thanksgiving managed to quickly veer me astray, but I'm recommitting to maintaining a few healthy habits post-cleanse, including:
- Keeping the refined sugar to a minimum, or better yet, having none at all. I find this time and time again when I cleanse, but sugar makes me feel AWFUL. I feel pure joy while I'm consuming Scandanavian Swimmers, but it's all downhill after that.
- Having a green juice or smoothie every morning. If I can get 2 servings of veggies right off the bat, there's no reason not to.
- Only snacking on fruits, veggies, and nuts, but preferably, trying not to snack at all.
- Drinking plenty of water. 100 oz. daily felt like a bit much for me but I had no problem getting 64 oz. so that's what I'm shooting for.
- Eating more vegan meals. I feel quite fortunate to not have any food allergies or sensitivities, but I definitely feel better when I eat vegan. While I don't feel that committing to a plant-based lifestyle is something that I need to do right now, I can absolutely eat vegan meals more than I currently do (the Yoga Girl podcast episode, Peace, Love, and Veganism, gave me a little kick in the pants too).
Moral of the Story: This cleanse is a miracle. If you've been eating poorly and feel sluggish and like you need to kickstart some healthy eating habits, I'd recommend giving it a try. And if you missed my previous cleanse post, here are the details on what I did.
Kitchari, I bow to you. 🙏🏻.