Is it just me, or have Podcasts totally blown up in the past year or so? They’ve been around for a while now, but I feel like it took a bit for them to infiltrate the mainstream, and now that they have, everyone seems to have one.
I’ve been taking a lot of walks this summer and also regularly driving 2.5 hours to the beach (you can take the girl outta Cape Cod, but you can’t take Cape Cod outta of the girl), so I’ve had a lot of time for Podcast listening, which I’ve been doing quite a bit of.
Here’s a list of some of my current favorites:
- Up First: NPR’s daily 10-15 minute recap of the day’s biggest news stories. I usually put this one on in the morning on my drive to work.
- Pod Save America: One of my favorites, four former aides to President Obama talk politics in a way that’s both easy to understand and really funny (their ads are somehow so hilarious, I never fast forward through them). Episodes come out twice a week and it’s really helped me to stay informed on what’s going on in America right now.
- From the Heart: Conversations with Yoga Girl: I started following Rachel Brathen (aka Yoga Girl) on Instagram a few years ago and she recently launched a Podcast that I’ve been enjoying a lot. I’d call it, no-bullshit, casual conversations on life and yoga?
- Yoga Talk: Yoga International is my go-to source for all things yoga and their Podcast dives into a ton of great topics (the ayurveda ones with Kathryn Templeton are my favorites).
- Magic Lessons with Elizabeth Gilbert: For all of my creative friends, this one is a must. Liz Gilbert helps listeners get through their creative ruts and start making work again. I blew through the first 2 seasons in a few weeks, so good.
- Oprah’s Super Soul Conversations: Oprah’s the best, and since I’m not a big TV-watcher, I never get to watch her Super Soul Sunday sessions. But now they’ve turned the show into a Podcast, hooray!
- Dear Sugars: A Dear Abby-esque advice Podcast with Cheryl Strayed and Steve Almond—both of whom I think give great advice. Another reason to love Cheryl Strayed…
- Radiolab: A perennial favorite, I’m not even sure how to describe it, but it’s great, and weird, and sciencey, and usually about things I didn’t even know existed.
- Rock Your Bliss: This one is hosted by two of my biggest girl crushes: Jacki Carr and MaryBeth LaRue. If you like yoga and wellness and personal development—and just listening to two besties chat about their 30-something lives, it's a good listen.
- One Part Podcast: This is a new find that I've been digging into. Host Jessica Murnane describes her show as: "A conversation with some of the most interesting and inspiring minds in wellness, music, food, fashion, and design." Can't say I disagree.
What’s everyone else listening to? And yes, I listened to Serial (both seasons) and S-Town and was obsessed with both. If you liked those, I'd also recommend A Killing on the Cape (especially for my East Coast friends), Dirty John, and Heaven's Gate (this one is crazyyy).